Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
August 31, 2010
Seniors top juniors in NorCal Clash
It was the upstarts who held sway in the first 20 minutes but the veterans took the NorCal Clash by a final score of 91-87 Sunday evening at Contra Costa College.
The 2012 youngsters led 28-22 at the end of the first 10-minute quarter and maintained a 47-41 lead at halftime. Finally displaying more consistency, the class of 2011 put together a 30-point third period to take the lead 71-62 and held on for the conclusion.
Senior Juan Anderson stuffed the stat sheet via 12 points, five rebounds, four assists, a trio of blocked shots (more on one of those below) and three steals. Mark Tollefsen, out of Sam Ramon Valley High, topped the 2011 squad with 13 points.
Junior Robert Upshaw produced a double-double with 15 points and 14 boards while teammate Dominic Artis contributed 13 points for the 2012 team.
News and Notes from the NCC
* Politicians and corporate leaders get dinged for sometimes lacking vision, but Juan Anderson overflows with this attribute. He displayed the ability to pick out both open teammates and, maybe more importantly, soon-to-be open colleagues by delivering pinpoint passes. Anderson was named the Player of the Game, though his shot was a bit erratic.
* 6-foot-7 David Andoh was the king of the midrange jumper -- a seemingly lost art. He is going to bring frontcourt scoring to St. Mary's this coming season.
* Mark Tollefsen is a deft shooter. Let him catch and fire is simply a losing strategy as his treys never met iron.
* Just like in boxing, it's the lower weight divisions that are often the most enjoyable to watch in hoops. The matchup of T.J. Taylor and Dominic Artis banging each other around out front via dribble-drives and defensive stops was quite the spectacle.
* 6-foot-11 Robert Upshaw opened the game with a nice spin move inside for a basket and later nailed a top-of-the-key triple. There's promise in the 2012 big but also much work still to do. The Pac-10 will be watching.
* J.T. Adenrele may only measure out at 6-foot-6 but no one battled harder and played big inside than the soon-to-be senior from Oakmont High.
* Berkeley High's Langston Morris-Walker already looks college ready physically and enjoyed some nice sequences on the court last night.
* Gary Williams is a solid glue guy and the 6-foot-3 Castlemont backcourter is one to watch as he enter his senior year.
* Watch out for 2012 forward Richard Longruss. The 6-foot-7 Bishop O'Dowd star had his moments and adding a couple more inches should throw his recruiting interest wide open.
* The play was certainly uptempo but too often sloppy. There were also no dunk freebies on the menu as it seemed every attempt to swoop in and send the ball downward was hotly contested.
Want recruiting information, in-depth game features or behind the scenes insight to your favorite prep players and teams? Follow Sectionsports on Twitter!
Send feedback, recruiting updates and story suggestions to email@example.com.